Originally Posted by nikon_d90
Originally Posted by Benser33
Considering the poor armor quality of IJN, just 0.2 units of belt and as much bulge as you can fit without losing a knot should suffice, to provide you with a fair amount of torp protection.
no need to use deck and bulk?
but how to resist enermy BB's shell?
since i saw some other super yamato could suffer a few direct incoming fire (almost all shell) from enermy bb5 but their dp did not decrease.
Deck is only worth using in large enough amounts. IJN Armor isn't very good, it is one of their national weaknesses. So the Yamato, etc, cannot really fit enough deck for any real benefit.
Bulkhead allows you to take more damage before you start to lose speed. This is both limited in usefulness and not very effective, not to mention again the poor quality of IJN armor.
As mentioned by Danita, other BB4s and BB5s etc may sustain the damage of a full salvo thanks to their Soft Defense (SD), the ability to burn off a large amount of damage over time instead of taking it all immediately.
The number highlighted in red above is your ships SD, it reaches a maximum of 900. 900 would allow you to take only 10% of the damage immediately and to burn the other 90% off over time, giving a chance to repair and preventing the damage from affecting the engine as quickly. In the example above, I would take 84% immediately and burn 16% over time.
SD is increased by the combined Restore ability of your crew, all sailors contribute to it (Thus the use of dedicated Restorers is ill-advised). In practise, it is more easily increased by simply gaining more experts and vets.
Hope some of this was useful.