The engine ability is a little more complex, so this topic is divided into parts
A : Basics
B : Overheat time
C : base speed
D : natural overheat speed
E : overheat speed with crew
** A ** Basics
- ONLY engineers contribute to overheat speed and time
- They only work in the support slots or BO slot of premium ships
- It is only the true engine ability (calculated as shown prior in this guide) that
matters for these calculations
** B ** Overheat time
- The maximum overspeed is limited to 70 percent above the 'base speed'. Different ships
need a different amount of engis to get to the max speed. (thanks SirDante for that cap Info)
- Engine ability stacks linear for overheat time and all engis.
You can calculate your overheat time for every sailor or for all your engineers using :
remember again... calculate the true engine ability for all the engineers aboard your ship
and simply add them up.
The result value is the number of seconds that you can overheat extra - meaning you have
to add it to your engines base overheat time. And it does NOT matter which engine, which
ship - the amount of 'overheat seconds' added by your engineers stays the same.
Don't rely on the released values for engine overheat time too much as they are sometimes
off by 1 or 2 sec - just run your ship without an engineer and stop the overheat time.
Thanks chagrin for that input, now all values are close to 100 percent correct.
And here's a little graph showing how much a single engineer actually does. I did it for
boosted +12base KM,+12base UK engi, a +10 UK with 100 vets and a 'normal' growth of
experts, as well as for +10UK non boosted and even without vets - just to compare.